Libraries are open from 9:00 am to 9:00 pm today
You are here
It is never too late to improve your reading, writing, speaking and listening skills! We support literacy by providing collections, programs, and spaces for adult learners as well as their teachers and tutors.
The Literacy Collection includes:
- English Grammar, Pronunciation, Spelling, and Writing
- Math, Financial Literacy, Computer Skills, Life Skills
- Short Stories and Kits (book with CD)
- Teacher Resources - LBS & ESL
Resources for COVID-19
- The Literacy Group of Waterloo Region
- Simple Coronavirus Quiz in English
- Simple Coronavirus Quiz in Spanish
Golden Oak Award
2018 was the final year for The Golden Oak Award, which provided an opportunity for new readers in adult literacy programs to read books chosen specifically for them. These books would encourage new adult readers to gain the skills to accomplish everyday tasks, as well as foster a love of reading.
Search for Golden Oak winners and nominees at the library.
Book Club Sets for Adult Literacy
Do you run an LBS or ESL book club? We have a variety of leveled readers available as book club sets. Each set contains 10 books, a CD (when available), and a dicussion guide.
Project READ Literacy Network: Directory of Programs
It's never too late to return to school, upgrade your skills or search for another job. The directory is designed to help adults in the Waterloo and Wellington Regions find local training or empoyment programs, including literacy and basic skills training, high school credit courses, college upgrading and equivalency courses, employment services, ESL programs, and more.
Literacy in Kitchener
There are several local organizations that support adult learners:
- Conestoga College
- Academic Upgrading helps adults improve their math, communication, computer, and science skills to college-entry level.
- Essential Skills Upgrading
Upgrade reading, writing, math and computer skills for work, home, further education or GED.
- Literacy Group of Waterloo Region
Tutoring services for adult learners
- Project READ Literacy Network Waterloo-Wellington
Complete an assessment of your skills and get referrals to programs. Get Set Read is an award winning Family Literacy program.
- St. Louis Adult Learning Centre
Core Essentials helps students update skills in Math, Writing, Reading and Computer Use.
Need more info?
Don't know where to start? Check out Contact North, Ontario's bilingual distance education and training network. They can direct you to the right program for you.
- Samantha Fisher - Online Learning Recruitment Officer at Contact North
- T: 1-855-357-1894 | C: 289-242-2863
- studyonline.ca | etudiezenligne.ca
- e-Channel | apprentissageenligne.ca
To book a tour or find out more about our literacy collections, contact Aimee Jeffrey, Adult Literacy Librarian.
- Call: 519-743-0271 x230
- Email: Aimee.Jeffrey@kpl.org